Friday, July 15, 2011

Mid Month Review

This week has been one of those weeks where you just have to go with the flow or else you will lose your sanity.  Its time to update everyone on how things have been going over here.


The Receiving Project: I am half way through my journey of receiving.  I am someone that can get caught up in the ick that life shovels at you, so this has been a refreshing change in the way I look at the world. I am consciously noticing gifts that are provided to me, recognizing the positives in my life and in doing so, a calm has come over me. I have been challenged to see how many gifts I can receive, to choose to accept gifts that come my way (something that is not always easy for me), and the 'aha' moment for me was when I read something that Jo Anna had written about not having to receive everything that comes your way.  This probably means different things to different people but for me this was pretty powerful.


You can choose to not accept things that are in front of you. Wow. The idea of saying "no, I don't want the effect that 'that' is going to cause" and letting it go rather than accepting it and then being miserable, for example, is really quite fascinating. I don't think a lot of people practice this concept. It sounds easy enough, but if you really think about it, there are many times (in my life at least) where things 'just happen' and it pisses me off or puts me in a depressed mood.  So to proactively intervene prior to getting to that state and consciously say I want to take this in but I'm leaving that at the door....I like that idea. Maybe it is also about how you react to what is given.

When I started the Receiving Project I was feeling like many moms.  We give and give of ourselves and we don't really focus on giving to ourselves.  Now that I am focused on the gifts that come my way, I feel even better about giving.  I don't feel as tired because I know that even though it may be exhausting to be giving in this moment, something good is coming my way.  I mean, its all perspective.  Its fun to give and not always tiring, but I may be at my breaking point with little sleep and a winey baby.  I have been up all night providing for my son. I fed him, held him, sang to him, whatever it was (I gave) and it can be all consuming. I can focus only on that, or I can choose to look at the gifts that the universe provides me and have a positive outlook on the whole situation. I can never be upset in the morning even if I have been up all night because I get the gift of my son's smile or hug in the morning. It is precious and that is just one of many gifts.

So what gifts have I been receiving lately? Way to many to list here, and while I notice them in the moment, I am sleepy now and can not remember them all to list, so here are a few.
Seeing my son move around and gain new skills
Visiting with friends, neighbors, and new acquaintances 
Meeting new family (special gift this week!)
Enjoying outings with my baby and husband
Sleeping more than 2 hours at a time
A glass of wine 
Laughter
Good food
A beautiful night sky
Time. Time for me. Time to do whatever it is I want to do. Oh how I love those moments.


The Cooking Challenge:  Well, no surprise here, I made only one meal on my menu.  However, it was not because I did not want to or was unprepared.  I did make dinner on Monday.  Tuesday we went to the Descanso Gardens performance so we were not around for dinner.  Wednesday my husband decided he was not going to be around for dinner. Thursday we had a huge lunch with family from out of town and neither of us were hungry (we didn't eat dinner) and today we went to our neighbors for a bbq.  We planned on cooking when we got home, but she was so excited for us to eat so how were we to say no?
I am disappointed that I bought a couple items that may go bad prior to using them, which really irritates me.  I will however follow through with my menu items in the next few days.  I don't think next week will be nearly as exciting as this week proved to be.

Fitness Challenge: Well, as I have mentioned before, I share a vehicle with my husband. Our schedules conflicted this week and I was only able to go to stroller strides one day.  I did however do my 10 minute leg challenge and today I pushed the stroller up Runyon Canyon.  I was proud of myself when I found that climbing Runyon was easier this time than the last time I climbed up there with the stroller.  I moved at the same pace as those without strollers whereas before everyone was passing me.  Don't get me wrong, I don't see it as a race, but it feels good to not struggle so much.  I guess the physical fitness activities are paying off! I still don't like the way my legs look, but I feel better about myself.  My arms are getting a little more definition though!

Ok, that should do it.  Now it is time for this mama to get some shut eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment