Saturday, July 30, 2011

Ask and You Shall Receive

Today is day 31 of The Receiving Project.  One more day to go. I have had the pleasure of receiving many wonderful gifts this past month and although the course is over after tomorrow, I plan to continue the process.  It has made me look at life differently.  I have a little more faith in a higher power than when I started. The old adage 'ask and you shall receive' holds more meaning now.

Being raised catholic, I was taught to pray for what I wanted to receive, pray for what I want for others and pray to show respect.  Today I talk more than pray. There is one thing that always stuck with me from my days as a practicing catholic.  That is Saint Anthony.  Saint Anthony is supposed to assist you in finding what you have lost.  For some reason, I always had this admiration for saints in general, but especially Saint Anthony.  I talk to Saint Anthony when I need to find something and without fail, I find what I am looking for.  Coincidence? Perhaps; but it is an exercise in opening myself up to receive from the universe and for what its worth, the universe delivers.  So where am I going with this rant? Well, I found my drivers license after asking for assistance from Saint Anthony!  Phew! No more stress about flying without photo ID!

I began my challenge of prettying myself up today.  I put on a dress, sandals and earrings today and headed off to the mall for some early afternoon shopping.  I was looking for something for the baby but treated myself to a gift- some short shorts! I have been working on my hot legs and although I am not 'there yet' I figure I deserve to feel decent about putting on a pair of shorts. I also feel that a pair of denim shorts can be a staple for a cute outfit, so why not?!

The past two nights I have received time to myself after all the boys (hubby, the baby and the dog) dozed off for the evening.  I so appreciate when this happens. It is a wonderful present.  Especially coupled with a glass of wine!

I have not been able to attend stroller strides as much as I have wanted to.  This past week the baby was ill and fussy (not good for class) so I didn't go but once. I realized however, that I know how to respond to my son's distress and having the confidence of knowing that I can comfort him, treat him, and that it will get better is a worthy gift!  "You can't always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you might find you get what you need".

This journey has taught me that gifts come in many fashions.  Some are physical, monetary in nature such as the shorts I purchased.  Others are things that feel good like the bubble bath that I had this evening with smelly soaps or time spent with friends and loved ones.  Then there are the internalized realizations.  These are the best gifts of all.  Confidence as I mentioned, Patience, Happiness, Pride, Love, A Gentle Calm. The list goes on and on.  I have always had these feelings within me, but the Receiving Project has afforded me the opportunity to focus on them.  What a fabulous feeling.  What fabulous gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment