Sunday, July 17, 2011

Cooking Challenge Update

Well, I'm doing it.  I made dinner last night and tonight, finally.  Last night was barbeque chicken with corn on the cob and coleslaw.  My husband decided he would have fish with the meal so I picked him up some sea bass at the market.  First I made the coleslaw.  I followed a Bobby Flay recipe.  It turned out great! I used a tool on my food processor to shred the carrots and cabbage.  Next time I will probably just chop the cabbage as the pieces were quite small but all in all I was pleased with the result.  I used my new grill pan for the chicken with some pre-made bbq sauce this time around, although, I have made my own before and its really not difficult.  Its just, I had spotted some sauce at the market and that sauce was the inspiration behind the meal.  The chicken was delicious.  The pan however was a bitch to clean. That being said, I would do it again. My husband didn't trust me to cook his fish (typical), so he stepped in.  I will have to practice another time. Tonight I made homemade pizzas. Well, I made the pizza crust but my husband had to step in to finish the pizzas (put the toppings on and such) because the baby beckoned.

While I have not made a menu for this upcoming week, I have mexican on the agenda (tacos or burritos) as we have the ingredients. Speaking of mexican, today my husband pulled a fast one on me, like I was a kid- sneaky guy! I don't like beans.  He made quesadillas today for lunch and put refried black beans in them and I had eaten a whole slice before I even noticed! So, I guess maybe I like beans after all!

In summary, while I have not cooked as often as I set out to, I am making an effort and we are eating some different foods.  Therefore, I am not complaining. The more I cook the easier I will find it and the more natural it will become, or so I am hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment