Friday, July 29, 2011

I Can Be a Mom AND Look Cute

Its Friday! When I used to go in to the office everyday, I looked forward to Fridays as do many people.  It meant the weekend was upon us, I got to wear casual clothing, and everyone was in a good mood (most days).  Then I had the baby and everyday was casual day.  All of the days blended together. I couldn't even remember what day it was most of the time.  It is so easy for a new mom, especially a first time mom, to get into a rut when it comes to caring for yourself.  I still struggle with this.

It took me a couple months after having my son to move on from wearing sweat pants everyday.  The good thing is I think both my husband and I were so immersed in being new parents and everything that goes along with it that I don't think he cared too much. I am sure he noticed though. I squeezed into some pants a few times when we left the house but other than that it was sweats day and night. I remember one day when my husband was going shopping for himself and I half jokingly said "you could pick me up a pair of jeans".  Wouldn't you know my sweet husband came home with jeans for me! The best part was they fit perfectly. He did better than I do! I usually have to have jeans hemmed and this pair just fit! Finally, I could feel normal again!



I am pleased that I got on a fitness kick but I still have a long way to go. I don't dress up- ever. I am always in jeans and a tank or tee. Oh yeah, or athletic gear.  Now that I work out everyday (almost) it doesn't feel like I am fake when wearing it! I used to wear little dresses and heels.  I would like to get to that point again.  So many of my dresses are not conducive to nursing.  Not to mention the bra issue. I have a hard time with the nursing bras.  Most of the time I wear what are considered sleep bras which are kind of like sports bras but not quite as tight and they provide easy access for nursing.  I don't have large breasts so I don't need a lot of support.  Sometimes, if I am wearing the right kind of tank, I go without.  Gasp! Whenever I have tried to wear a nursing bra that resembles a regular bra, I get boob problems, so I have learned to avoid them.  It will be nice to get back to wearing a regular over the shoulder boulder holder.

I could do more to dress myself up though and I am going to make this a goal for August.  I could wear cuter outfits (I am sure if I get creative I have plenty that will work with nursing just fine).  Perhaps I will give myself permission to get a few clothing items to work with. I can maintain my nails better.  I could groom my eyebrows more often and even throw on some makeup every now and again. I plan to get my hair done - soon. I never get my hair done.  Never.  It has been years, literally, since it has been professionally cut and styled.  Good hair goes a long way. I think for now I will stay away from color, although I would really like to have my hair colored with highlights and such. I know however, that I might not be good at maintaining it so its better to start with a cut and style.

Just because I am a mom doesn't mean I have to be drab.  Even before having the baby I struggled with prettying myself up. This is the perfect time to get started. Next week we are going out of town and I will be visiting with lots of people whom I have not seen since before I was pregnant. Why not put a little effort into myself?  I deserve it. Effort doesn't mean that I will never wear jeans and a tee (because this is my go to outfit and its rather comfortable).  It also does not mean that I will wear a dress and heels all the time (because heels all day with a baby is terribly impractical) but I will put more effort into caring for myself, giving myself permission to look cute, feel good, and shine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment