Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Homemade Baby Food: Peaches and Sweet Potatoes

I did it! Last night I made Pesto Pasta and it was delicious. I even managed to please my husband with this one! Yeah! Not only did I complete my cooking challenge for the day, but I went above and beyond and made some baby food as well!

I had mentioned a couple weeks ago that I was going to make peaches and sweet potatoes for the baby. I never ended up doing it that time, but I finally followed through! Even before the baby was born I decided that I wanted to make baby food. While I have pureed several vegetables for him, I admit he has eaten more jar or pouch food than homemade food. So I am trying to improve in this area as well.

The peaches exceeded my expectations. I really impressed myself! They came out creamier than the peaches that you buy in a pouch. I always found those peaches to be a bit watery. I didn’t mind them, but mine came out excellent! There are several ways in which to cook the peaches prior to pureeing them. I chose to bake them as I read that this method allows for more flavor and nutrients to be retained. It was super simple too. I cut the peaches in half (except one that was too ripe to do so) and placed them in a baking dish with a little bit of water on the bottom. The one that I couldn’t get apart I put in there too and it cooked just the same. In researching, I found some people said to pit the peach prior to cooking and others saved it for after cooking. I strongly recommend just leaving the pit in while it cooks, as it is so much easier to remove after the fact. I peeled the peaches when they were done cooking, stuck them in the food processor and hit the on switch. I then added a little water from the baking dish ( that had the peachy flavor) to make the food the consistency that I wanted. Finally I put them in containers for storage and we now have peaches galore! Logan enjoyed eating the peaches this morning. Success!

I chose to bake sweet potatoes as well, which was even simpler. All I did here was poke holes in them, place them in aluminum foil and stuck them in the oven with the peaches. Two dishes at once! I scooped the potato out of the skin and into the food processor and added a little water, again to get to the consistency that I wanted. They came out so good! Logan ate them up too!

No comments:

Post a Comment