Friday, July 22, 2011

Homemade Baby Food: Broccoli and Green Beans

Today I purchased ice cube trays to freeze baby food. I already have a number of baby food containers that are freezer safe but I felt limited in the amounts that I could make. Therefore I bought the trays to freeze the food and then transfer the food to freezer bags. Its the small stuff that excites me! So far I am satisfied with this method.

I chose to use frozen organic vegetables this time. Broccoli was first. I had never made broccoli puree before. I steamed the entire package of broccoli florets. When they were done, I transferred the veggies to ice water to stop the cooking. I then put them in the food processor to make the puree. I added a touch of water to make the puree thinner, although they would work fine without this step as well. I then transferred the broccoli to the ice cube tray and stuck it in the freezer. I put a couple containers in the refrigerator as I plan to combine the broccoli with sweet potatoes tomorrow for a delicious baby meal!

Next was green beans. This was my second go at green beans. The first time around didn't go so well and the baby would not eat them. I decided a few things needed to change. First, I would make a larger quantity. In order for the food processor to do it's job, it needs something to work with. Then, I decided that I would push the green beans through a strainer this time. I prepared the green beans in the same manner that I did the broccoli, except I did not add liquid. Using the whole package of green beans made a huge difference in the consistency of the puree. I may not have needed to push the mixture through the strainer, but decided to anyway. This step did take a little time. It was worth it though, as the baby ate the green beans up tonight! It is so satisfying when the baby actually eats the food I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment