Sunday, September 11, 2011

Sunday's Super Supper

squash blossoms
This evening I tried something new for dinner.  As we usually do on Sunday morning, we ventured out to the farmers market.  This morning I spotted some organic squash blossoms and I simply had to have them.  I decided that I would make Ricotta Filled Squash Blossoms for dinner.  I looked up several recipes prior to deciding how I would make mine.

I cleaned up the squash blossoms and detached the pistol from the center. I then filled each blossom with a filling that consisted of ricotta cheese, basil, parmesan cheese, an egg yolk, salt and pepper.  After filling each blossom, I made a batter to coat them in prior to frying them in oil at 375 degrees. I made a beer batter only because this is what I had on hand.  I mixed flour, more parmesan cheese and beer in a bowl, added a little salt and we had batter.

After coating the blossoms I dropped them in the oil and cooked them for a few seconds, quickly transferring them to a plate lined with paper to soak up excess oil.  I heated up some marinara sauce, adding garlic and squash pieces, to dip the squash blossoms in.



ingredients ready to make the filling

finished product
blossoms filled











They turned out amazing!  My husband enjoyed them as well.  I am very proud of myself! For dessert we had some french vanilla ice cream which I found to be a nice balance paired with the fried blossoms. Originally I thought we were going to need to have pasta or something additional with the squash blossoms, but it really seemed to be plenty on its own, especially since we weren't too hungry.  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment