Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday Fun Day ~ Making Pie

So we drove out to a ranch to do some apple picking over the weekend, only to find that there were no apples to pick at the ranch we went to.  That specific day they were not letting people pick their own apples because they were a bit cleaned out.  We could have gone to another orchard down the road, but we had so much fun that we ran out of time!  There was so much to do! We picked raspberries, took a wagon ride through the orchard and visited the petting zoo.  Our live and learn experience:  If you are going to take the stroller through the thorn filled raspberry field, prep your wheels.  We flattened all of the tires.  It seems obvious after the fact.  Silly parents.  Now I am tasked with finding new tire tubes for my stroller in order to go to stroller strides.  Geez.  I am hoping I will find them and not have to order them online, but will do whatever it takes.

Though we weren't able to pick apples, we did come home with a bag of pre-picked apples to bake a pie.  So today's Monday Fun Day Activity is Pie Making!  I'll be honest, we have not been able to get around to it yet and it may have to wait until tomorrow, but the plan is to make a pie.  I plan to allow the baby to feel the pie crust dough and smell the scent of the ingredients as they go into the pie filling.  Plus, I keep my baking stuff in a bin that I think will be loads of fun for Logan to dig through. He is very into exploring in the kitchen these days.  He is allowed to play with pots and pans and plastic containers.  I also give him wooden spoons to play with.  He loves going into the drawer that holds the towels and pulling all of them out.  One out of ten times he might put them back.  I don't mind.  It keeps him occupied while I do dishes and cook.  Anyway,  I love making apple pie.  I usually will make one each year and I am so excited to start sharing the experience with my little guy.

When we do go apple picking, and we do plan on going back to go apple picking and to visit the pumpkin patch, I would like to make apple sauce.  I remember making apple sauce when I was a little girl, but certainly have not attempted such as an adult.  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment