Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Not The Toilet Water!

You think that you have safeguarded as best you can.  You provide constant supervision.  You give directives in a loving manner.  You think you plan for everything and yet the baby still finds a way to create mischief.

The baby is now climbing up on everything.  He follows my husband and I around the house, so if we are in the bathroom, he makes his way in there.  Our door doesn't lock (not that we would lock it anyway) so the little guy pushes the door open when we are in the shower (*side note* I only shower when he is sleeping in his crib or papa is home) or brushing our teeth etc.  We just keep an eye on him as he likes prop up on the bathtub and practice walking. He is not allowed in the bathroom alone.  He loves splashing the water while we get his bath ready.  Recently he has become fascinated with that little knob that covers the screw at the base of the toilet.  Loving that.  Since he has started touching the toilet, we have made sure to keep the lid closed.  He has not figured out how to open it, thank god, but its only a matter of time, so I think we may need to invest in one of those closure goodies. BUT..... I was brushing my teeth and apparently someone forgot to put the lid down,  and as I was brushing my teeth I heard splashing.

I turned to find the baby with his hand in the toilet water.  NO NO NO! Not the toilet water! Gross! Luckily, I caught it immediately, washed his hands and put the lid down.  Water is like a magnet for the baby. He races me to the dog bowl, trying to get there to splash in it before I lift it off the floor.  He crawls over to a bowl that is kept outside for the dogs.  He loves to splash! But the toilet?  That was too much.  I should have caught it before it happened.  I felt guilty for not checking the seat as he was coming in- I won't make that mistake again.  It amazes me how quick that kid is.  I literally just turned around to brush my teeth and BAM! he was at the toilet.  So parents..... Never underestimate your little ones.  They will surprise you with their abilities.  Now I am obsessive about it.  I check the toilet lid all the time.  I know I put it down, but continue to check it over and over just to make sure.  I guess you can never be too careful, but I am becoming a little nuts! Better safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment