Thursday, September 8, 2011

How Prepared Are You? ~Disaster Preparedness

Although I live in California, I feel for the people who have experienced the devastation left by hurricane Irene on the East coast.  The damage in Vermont is quite close to my hometown. This week, tropical storm Lee swept through and although the storm was not destructive like Irene, the rain impedes progress towards recovery from the storm.  It has been an awakening of sorts for me.  A reminder that I need to be prepared should disaster strike, especially now that I have a little one to keep safe.

To a certain extent, I have always given disaster preparedness thought.  Part of my responsibility at my last job was to focus on this topic.  This paired with the constant reminder that an earthquake could come at any moment meant that I thought about how prepared I was.  Since my husband and I adventure in the outdoors, we have certain items packed in a bin that would be useful in the wake of disaster.  We have a camping bin that has a stove, propane, a tarp, lantern and other useful items that we would grab.  We also have backpacking gear stored together including a tent, sleeping bags, a first aid kit, water filtration system, and flashlights.  So, if we needed to escape, I know we would be able to camp. Yet, there are certain items that are not pulled together.  Items that I would want to have available and ready to grab quickly.

I think it is important to have the following

  • A change of clothes and shoes for each family member- this would especially come in handy if something happened in the middle of the night when people are in their jammies!
  • A toiletry kit for the family.  Don't forget diapers for baby and any medications that people may need.
  • Coats or blankets (or both) and rain gear - a way to stay warm and dry
  • Water and food (I have read that it is a good idea to have 3 days worth of food for each member of the family)
  • A light source - this might be a flashlight with batteries, a lantern or candles. I think its a good idea to have a couple candles and a lighter or matches on hand anyway.  I keep a candle and lighting source in each room in my home in case the power should go out and I need to have light.  The last thing I need to be doing is searching for matches in the dark.  I also have a drawer that is centrally located in my home that houses additional candles and matches. 
  • A first aid kit
  • A battery operated or solar powered radio. Don't forget extra batteries.
  • If you are like me and always needing to look for your keys, it is a good idea to have an extra set  in your kit. 
  • It is also a good idea to have an extra cell phone charger in your kit. If you end up having power to charge your phone it would be a shame to not have a charger. You can't communicate with a dead cell.
  • One of the most important things to have in your kit that not many people think about..... Money!  Some folks have an emergency credit card but it is a good idea to have cash as well.  Smaller bills are best, but anything is better than nothing.  My husband's grandparents gave us silver dollars for christmas.  They suggested we keep them in our emergency kit.  I felt this was so thoughtful of them.
  • Finally, have some information put together.  This might include names of your family members, your address and other contact info.  You might include your doctors' names and contact info.  Perhaps you want to include emergency contacts (maybe family members that are in a different town).  You may also want to keep a permanent marker and paper in your kit. 

Is it good enough to simply have a disaster preparedness kit put together?  No.  This is only one step to being prepared.  First, think about where your kit is located.  Will you be able to quickly access it if necessary?  It doesn't do you much good if you burry it deep within your basement or storage closet.  And what good is a kit without a plan?  It is extremely important to discuss your disaster preparedness plan with your family.  Make a plan together.  Discuss what types of disasters could occur.  Then discuss what will likely happen and what your plan will be in the event such a disaster occurs. Find out where you can go within your community should a disaster occur and know how to get there. Most importantly stay calm. A little planning goes a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment