Monday, August 22, 2011

Monday Fun Day ~ Story Board

This week's Monday Fun Day activity is being assembled in stages because, well, the baby is needy this week and because there are lots of pieces to assemble.  This week we are making a story board!
What is a story board you may ask? Well, it is a way to tell stories by attaching objects to a board.  Ours is a felt story board.  We are making it so that we can enhance our story time beyond the books! Our first story told with the board is going to be none other than "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?" written by Bill Martin Jr. and illustrated by Eric Carle.  A classic! I love this book because there is so much you can do with it.

Michelle Obama reads "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?"
picture from billmartinjr.com
There are different suggestions for how to make a story board.  This is what I did.  I took a thin canvas and wrapped felt around it stapling it to the back side of the wood frame.  Glue would work too. I picked up supplies at Michael's, however there are many places where you can find felt.  I also found a suggestion to use flannel from a fabric store.  I found a large sheet of felt that I cut to the size I needed.

I then picked up 9x12 sheets of felt in different colors that I needed to make the characters in the book (red bird etc.) and am in the process of making those now.  I did find templates to make pieces for this and other stories but I might just make my own.

I got the idea from story time at the library. The librarian uses a board and the little ones love it. I find that an online search brings most of what you need (or at least competitive pricing if you are purchasing sets.

***Just for fun check out this video of Bill Martin reading the book***

No comments:

Post a Comment