Thursday, August 11, 2011

The Challenge of Childproofing

Now that we are back from our trip it is time to get down to business with the childproofing of the home. Where to begin?  Throughout the past month we have been moving things around, to make a safe play space for the baby, but now that he is more mobile, its time to concur the rest of the house.  I guess there are different ways to go about it.  I mean, we could just get a pen or fence to put around his play area to keep him safe.  Although this isn't a bad option, I don't think its the one for me.  I want the baby to be able to crawl around from room to room and explore his surroundings.  I also think that the more ground he has available to cover, the better he will be able to develop his motor skills.

So I did what all the parenting websites suggest.  I got down on my hands and knees (his eye level) and took a look around.  It can be pretty scary down there! The most apparent things were wires.  Wires galore.  For this hazard, I am looking for cord protectors.  We can tie the wires together, but they are still exposed along the floor, so a cord protector would work best.  Then there were the fuzz balls.  This is simply a matter of multiple sweeping and dusting efforts each day.  Fun.

Other items that I am going to purchase are outlet covers and cabinet locks.  I also found a power strip protector.  I didn't even know these existed but I think we may have to get a couple of those too. The only other thing I think we should purchase is something to put around the corners of the coffee table.  The baby is not too stable on his feet and its only a matter of time before he bangs his face on the edge.

There are so many gadgets out there to keep your kids safe and each family has to decide which products are important to them.  The most important preventative measure is supervision, so this is where I will focus most of my attention.  I am sure that as time goes on I will find new areas that need attention as the baby will become more curious, quicker on his feet and perhaps even a little sneaky!

No comments:

Post a Comment