Monday, August 29, 2011

Monday Fun Day ~ Finger Puppets

I am just now able to get our Monday Fun Day post out but hey, better late than not at all.  Today for our Monday Fun Day Activity I attempted to make felt finger puppets.  I came across a Martha Stewart page that had these adorable finger puppets to make and I just had to try it.  I bought some wool fiber to try felting these puppets.  I was semi-successful.  It seemed simple enough.  I break the fiber up into strings.  I wrap the string around my finger, dip it in hot soapy water, and then rinse it in cold water.  Let dry and then decorate with felt pieces .  I wrapped my finger, dipped the wool and pressed it to make it stick together.  That part I was successful at.... but my results didn't come out nearly as good as Martha Stewart's! Hers look smooth and polished.  Mine is fuzzy and thicker than I think it is supposed to be. When I took the wool off my finger, I had a hard time not pulling wool out with it.  I let the puppet shell dry and it will definitely work, but I am not satisfied with the result.  I will be trying again tomorrow or in the near future to better replicate Martha's results.  I will let you know how it goes.

The baby and I did have fun trying though and when we have a few puppets made I will use them to tell little stories.  The baby had a ball trying to grab and eat the wool!  Although he can't participate wrapping the wool, he can dip his hands in the water and feel part of the process.  We have a lot of fun together!

No comments:

Post a Comment