Monday, June 20, 2011

Trip Trooper

Team Rugged went on another road trip this past weekend! Logan is such a trooper when traveling!

Sometimes when I speak with other mothers, they are uneasy about traveling with their baby. I can understand their concern, however there are a few things you can do that make the trip more enjoyable for all involved. Logan did not like to ride in the car at first and cried every time we put him in his car seat. I even rode in the back with him when I could because I just didn’t know what else to do. Thankfully, this only lasted a short time and he is now a fantastic traveler.

My Tips
-When going long distances, plan to stop every so often to get out, stretch and get some fresh air.
-I found the mirror that goes on the seat of the car so that you can see the baby in your rear view mirror helpful. The baby enjoys looking in the mirror as well.
-Having food available for the baby is always a good idea. If you are exclusively breastfeeding, simply plan on needing to stop along the way. I always try to be proactive with this and when I know its about time for him to eat we will look for a desirable location to pull off the road. There will be times however when the baby decides that he wants to eat ‘now’ and you will have to find anyplace you can to pull over. Since our son is a bit older now and is willing to drink out of a bottle or sippy cup, we are able to feed him while we are driving. I still try to pull off and feed him (because everyone needs breaks from riding), but again, if we are trying to make it to a certain location this has been helpful.
-Toys are helpful. I always bring a few toys and switch them out every so often throughout the trip so that the baby doesn’t get bored with the same old things, however you might find that your little one has a favorite toy. Don’t forget that one!
-A blanket is cozy for the baby. I always have a blanket for him to cuddle up in if he so chooses. Our son sleeps a lot when riding in the car
-If the baby has a favorite type of music or an album that is calming for him bring it and be prepared to listen for a while. Our son enjoys listening to jazz.
-A pacifier can be useful to soothe the baby when you can’t pull over and need to get from point A to point B. I was never a proponent of the pacifier, however I have learned that they can come in handy every now and then. My son isn’t attached to his pacifier, he doesn’t cry for it or need it to sleep or anything like that, but he does use one here and there. I am learning not to be so judgmental of myself for providing it.

We go on overnight trips quite often. Every hotel that we have stayed in offers cribs for free. I have heard that there may be a charge for a crib, however I have not found this to be the case. Some hotels (Hyatt specifically) even give you a travel pack of toiletries for baby. I call ahead to ensure I know what I am getting into before we leave. I always bring the baby’s blankets so that they smell and feel like home. Some sinks work well for bath time when the baby is small. If I don’t feel that the accommodations are appropriate for a bath, we simply do a sponge bath. The baby usually stays up a little later than usual when traveling, but he sleeps really well most of the time. I strongly recommend bringing a night light. When hotel curtains are closed it is usually pitch black in the room once the lights go out. I know that I like to check on the baby if I wake during the night and when he starts crying you want to be able to find him! You don’t have to bring your entire nursery to be comfortable. A few thoughtful items can go a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment