Friday, June 24, 2011

Farmers Market Fun

Nothing beats a good farmers market! I love bringing my little guy to the farmers market. We go every Sunday morning (that we are in town) to the Hollywood farmers market. It is fantastic! I have been to several others around town, but none compare to this one.

On Thursday evenings there is a farmers market at Yamashiro, a restaurant set up on a hill above Hollywood that overlooks the city. I hear the music from this market each Thursday evening while I am at home partaking in my usual evening routine. Last night we decided to trek up the steep hill with the baby in the stroller to see what goodies we could find. I made my wonderful husband push the stroller. I mean, if I am going to these fitness classes and getting my butt in shape, he should get a little workout too right?!

I was delighted to find a line of food vendors with delicious dinner options. I opted for Heirloom LA’s food truck. I had myself one of their delectable lasagna cupcakes (pulled pork option) and a salad on the side. The salad was fantastic as well. Great choice. I couldn’t have been happier. My husband and I shared a table with a mom and her two children. My husband decided to have a large beer with his dinner. I couldn’t help but chuckle when the little girl, around eight years of age, looked at him and said “That’s a lot of beer. I think that is meant for two people.” He responded by letting her know that he agreed that was probably the intended purpose. The little girl had a crepe for her dinner and she said it was very good – and she doesn’t usually like crepes, although she also mentioned that she confused crepes with tamales often.

There weren’t many fruit and veggie stands, however there were enough. In addition I spotted a meat and cheese vendor as well as a vender with some cake goodies. We didn’t end up shopping for produce at all. We enjoyed our dinner, the live music, the spectacular views and friendly company. This farmers market also had a clown that entertained the little ones.

After being out of town the last couple of Sundays, I am looking forward to this Sunday when I can go to my usual spot, the Hollywood farmers market and stock up on supplies for the week. There is such great variety at this market. One corner is set up as a music circle for the little children. So not only can you teach your kids about healthy foods, you can do some taste testing, craft shopping, and get some entertainment out of the trip as well! I am always so inspired to make my own baby food when I attend the farmers market! I can’t wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment