Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Activity Planner

Now that summer is here I always want to be outside. Staying in the house seems so boring! I have been actively seeking activities in the community that are inexpensive or free. I am not opposed to joining one mommy and me class at a time, but we can't afford to do it all.  I must make choices! What fun activities do you have planned with your little one?

Just getting outside in your yard can be an experience for the baby.  He is fascinated by grass and dirt these days.  He also enjoys feeling the brink and concrete on the patio. I am thinking about getting a little blow up pool for him to play around in on those hot days, but we are playing this by ear.  Sometimes however, you just want to go someplace. The following is a list of some of the places I discovered.  It is bound to grow and I will keep you updated as we find new adventure spots!

 Griffith Park.  Griffith Park is so vast that I could have a different adventure each day of the week! When the weather is hot I tend to stick to the shadier trail areas or find a tree to park under for an hour or so.  On cooler days I enjoy hiking up to the observatory (which is fun itself), but where there is also a nice view of the Hollywood sign.  There are areas with a merry-go-round and a kiddy gym / playground as well.

Los Angeles Zoo is located in Griffith Park as well.  I am hoping that my son will enjoy riding around in his stroller and looking at all the animals.

Aquarium of the Pacific is someplace I have always wanted to visit but have not had the opportunity.  I noticed that they have discount tickets if you go in the evenings during the summer.

Descanso Gardens is a peaceful place to visit with your baby.  I especially am looking forward to family nights and Jazz nights this summer!  I read about an enchanted railroad ride you can take.  I am hoping that baby can go on this little train ride.  We shall see.

Zuma Beach in Malibu is my favorite beach to frequent. I have yet to take the baby to the beach for an outing.  We have driven on a beach (Pismo beach in our family adventure vehicle), we have walked around a bit, but we have not put the bathing suits on for fun in the sun.  I plan to put this on the agenda for sure. I am sure my baby will love feeling the sand (and trying to eat it).

The Grove is an outdoor mall area that is a nice area to walk around. There is a fountain and sitting area as well an adjacent farmers market area. On Thursdays there is a kid program. There are free concerts during the summer as well as free movies under the stars!

The Americana is much like the Grove and offers free movies as well.  Both locations offer mommy movie mondays.  The Americana also had a kid program on Tuesdays and kids eat free on Tuesday at many of the restaurants! I attend Stroller Strides here once in a while and have found that there is a nursing area and family bathroom area for changing your baby.  Very mom friendly!

Zimmer Children’s Museum is scheduled for us. I am looking into other museums currently to see what fun activities they may have in store for baby! 

Los Angeles Public Libraries are always a great place to visit. We have a trip to the Library scheduled this week!  I will let you know how it goes.  Public libraries typically have activities for children of all ages.  We are participating in story time this week.  I hear there is a book club (and the starting age is 0) so I will be checking into that as well.

Again, as I discover new places I will share them!

No comments:

Post a Comment