Thursday, June 30, 2011

Teething Time

I think its that time! Although my son has been drooling and chewing on everything for months, I have not been able to see any signs of teeth. Yesterday though, I noticed a little white spot on the bottom gums and I think it just may be a tooth! He has been a little fussy for the past couple days.  Not too bad, but he cried through the stroller strides class on Tuesday and was fussy last night and this morning. I wonder how long it will take to push through the gums.  I read that once these symptoms start that it usually takes about three to five days but each child is different.  I haven't noticed any fever or illness- no diaper rash and no facial rash.  I have not noticed a decrease in the frequency in which he eats (lord knows this kid loves to eat), just a little fussiness. 

To assist with what I assume is his discomfort, I have given the baby teething rings.  I also have a toy that you cool in the refrigerator and let him chew on.  I have heard that freezing a washcloth works well. I appreciated the tip I received that you wet one corner of the cloth prior to freezing and then when the baby is chewing / sucking on it, the rest of the cloth can soak up all the drool and wetness. My kid really enjoys sucking on the washcloth.

Other products I have heard about but have not tried include teething tablets, gels, and a necklace that you place around the baby's neck that releases oils into the skin that are soothing. We have not broken out the Tylenol yet and I'm hoping I don't have to.  I have found distraction to be my best friend when it comes to a fussy baby.  They are pretty easily amused and although it can be exhausting, it works and its what being a mom is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment