Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Bye Bye Food Pyramid Hello My Plate

Have you heard of the new My Plate diagram? Earlier this month First Lady Michelle Obama along with Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack, and Surgeon General Regina Benjamin unveiled the new food diagram replacing the food pyramid. Apparently the food pyramid has become more and more confusing over the years as it has been revised. This new icon is a simple reminder to everyone of what we should be eating. I like the idea of having a guide to remind people of what should be going on their plates, but I feel this diagram is lacking in several areas.

First, there are many people who may not know the many delicious foods that are available in each category or think that because they are eating a food that is considered a protein for instance, that they are eating well enough. I rather enjoyed and was inspired by all of the pictures of foods in each category on the food pyramid. When I was first introduced to the food pyramid, there were many foods that I had not tried; healthy foods that I have learned to love over the years. While I was pregnant I religiously counted the servings that I ate of each (not always eating them in meals). The diagram shows in a sort of pie chart manner the serving sizes of each category.

So, while I like this as a tool to assist people, especially children in what their meals should look like, it can not be used as a stand alone tool to teach healthy nutrition. I don't think the intention was for it to be so. The website has some additional links that are very helpful and informative. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment