Sunday, June 12, 2011

Oh Poop!

I know, I know.... The first post I write and its an icky one, but I told myself that I would just write what is happening currently rather than forcing topics - the good, the bad, and the stinky.

The past 24 hours have been rough. My baby boy has been cranky and not feeling so hot. We started him on solids at about 5 months, very slowly increasing the amount and frequency in which he eats- first one time a day then two and are trying to get to three times a day but have not yet been successful which I am ok with. The problem is as I increase the foods he has a harder time pooping. A few weeks ago he became constipated and didn't poop for several days, which is out of the norm for him. Yesterday, he did poop, several times, but it was much thicker than usual, a thick peanut butter texture and while this didn't alarm me, he seemed to be in pain as he pooped. Each time he struggled and cried. I know that poop consistency has much to do with diet and we are playing around with the diet to see what works best for us. I have not been giving him rice, apples or bananas because these are more binding foods, however at some point I would assume that his digestive system will be ready for these foods. Right? I continue to breast feed and have also tried giving him some juice and water. Has anyone else struggled with this?

2 comments:

  1. Kendal LoVeD prunes as one of her first foods. That might help but just remember any new foods will cause changes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am now incorporating Prunes into the diet. I think that I am slowly learning that this may actually be normal . I appreciate your comment that new foods cause changes :)

    ReplyDelete