Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Thanksgiving Menu

I went to the store first thing this morning to complete my Thanksgiving shopping.  It was a relatively pleasant experience.  I was able to get everything on my list and didn't have to wait in lines to check out! As we prepare for Thanksgiving I can't help but think about what it was like as I was growing up.  This is the first year that my grandmother is not around for Thanksgiving and although I have not spent Thanksgiving with her (or my family) for several years, I still miss her this holiday.  I remember going to her house when I was a young girl and having, what seemed to me, a huge Thanksgiving spread.  We all gathered around the table and indulged in Turkey, ham, and all the sides.  My grandmother used to bake pies for the holidays - pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, chocolate pudding pie, strawberry rhubarb pie, lemon meringue pie, mincemeat pie - you know, to name a few!  I was never much of a pie fan, but I would always eat the apple pie!  To this day apple pie is my favorite!  Although my grandmother is not with us anymore, I am still very thankful for her this holiday.  She gave me more than she ever knew.  I cherish the memories that I have and they make me a better mom.

We start this Thanksgiving holiday by baking pumpkin bread!  An early treat!  My husband and I love to make Thanksgiving dinner.  We are not having any guests this year so we are trying not to make too much, but we are still going to have a nice spread.  We have decided on the following menu.

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
A Roasted Chicken (because I am not a huge turkey fan, wouldn't be able to come close to eating the leftovers, and I can think of lots to do with chicken leftovers)
Halibut (for my husband who does not eat meat)
Green Bean Casserole
Mashed Potatoes
Cranberry Sauce
Pumpkin Pie (possibly)

I am not going to make stuffing this year.  I usually do, and I love it, but we don't need it.  My husband sometimes makes a pumpkin soup, but we opted for butternut squash this year.  We always make homemade green bean casserole, no canned mushroom soup or onions.  Same with the cranberry sauce.  I don't know if I will get around to making the pumpkin pie (again, I am not a fan - but my husband is) but if I have time I will make it for my husband.  I am super excited to make my roasted chicken.  It will be my first time working with the whole chicken and I can't wait!  Sweet Potatoes are not on the menu, another item I love, but again, we don't need it.  So I will make this dish another time.  I didn't pick up any dinner rolls at the market.  Perhaps I will make some if I am feeling domestic!

And how did I spend Thanksgiving prior to baby?  Why hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon of course!



No comments:

Post a Comment