Wednesday, November 16, 2011

I'm A Small Market Kind Of Gal

I heart Trader Joe's!
Man oh man.... I ventured out to Vons today.  Its been a while since I shopped at a large supermarket such as Vons.  Nothing against Vons, but I typically shop at Trader Joes, sometimes Whole Foods.  Every now and then I stop at Gelsons on my way home or walk down to Fresh & Easy if I need something.  It was a weird experience let me tell you.  The store seemed enormous!  Way too many choices.  As with all large supermarkets, there was way too much junk to choose from (or too much junk to make it easy to find the healthy options quickly).  I ended up there because I was trying to be a responsible shopper by cutting coupons!  I happened upon the 'prepare for thanksgiving' flyer and there were tons of coupons for things that I thought would be great for baking, and of course other stuff that I thought we could use.  I will say the prices on items are on the cheaper side but what are you spending your money on?  We don't buy a lot of processed food.  We typically eat organic, natural food or at least foods that have labels with ingredients we can easily pronounce.  No high fructose corn syrup.

Years ago we shopped at Vons because it was close to our home, therefore, I was able to use my old phone number to get the club prices on items.  This, along with my coupons saved me $25.  Not too shabby.  I am sure that if you take the time to search out the healthy items and shop here regularly, this market could be a good option.  I couldn't handle shopping there though.  I tried to start by walking through the produce area.  I found the organic mushrooms, picked some up and decided I better move on to the baking aisle before I wander about.  Obtaining some baking supplies was after all the main objective of my trip and I was already wanting to leave.

I finally found the baking aisle and picked up my powdered sugar, chocolate, and gelatin for the cake I am making.  I pulled out my seven hundred coupons and began ruffling through them to see what I wanted to buy, ensuring I pick up the right quantity and volume of the products.  What a pain! Of course I didn't have all the coupon items on my list, so I was a disorganized mess.  I got through about five and decided I didn't need the other items bad enough to find them in the store.  I suck at couponing.  I am the person that will have a coupon for two bucks off six packets of Plum baby food and will show up to the counter with two packets of Plum food and four packets of Happy Baby food and wonder why my coupon is not working.  Yep, happened.  Then there was the next time around when I actually picked up six packets of plum food (simply because I was determined to use the coupon) and once I got to the counter I forgot to hand the dang thing over.  Now the coupon has expired.  Yep.  Suck at it. 

I needed staples such as milk and eggs and decided I will go to Trader Joes tomorrow to pick them up.  Isn't it weird how we become accustomed to our grocery store.  I know exactly where to find the items that I typically buy on a regular basis and can get through the store rather quickly.  I think I became anxious because I had the baby with me, I didn't know how long he could hold it together before becoming uncooperative, and there was simply way to much stimulation (for me, let alone him).  I walked up and down the baking aisle three times and had to ask someone before finding the corn syrup.  Seriously? Again, I have nothing against Vons but I so prefer my small market that may not have every item that I need for my fondant cake, but has everything I need for everyday use.

No comments:

Post a Comment