Sunday, October 2, 2011

Sunday Special ~ Roasted Squash Soup

This evening I was finally able to make Roasted Squash Soup for dinner.  You see, I attended a get together with some friends on Friday evening and I thought that it would be nice to bring some homemade squash soup to share (we were all bringing appetizers).  I made a special trip to the market Friday morning, pre-heated the oven while I cut up items to roast and as I went to put everything in the oven, I found that the oven was cold.  Of course.  It was the first time when I thought, "I am a stay at home mom"..... "I want to bring a proper housewife sort of dish with me".... It had been cloudy and rainy that day so soup seemed an appropriate dish.  Instead I showed up empty handed. I had to just come to accept that it wasn't happening and there is always next time.  Luckily, it was a group of close friends whom I feel comfortable with.

Yesterday we visited a small appliance repair store in one of the interesting parts of town and my husband fixed the oven.  He is such a handy man!  Seriously though, I so appreciate that he is smart and resourceful! It was too late in the evening to start the soup yesterday.  Today however, today I was able to make it!

I chose to use butternut squash.  I love me some butternut squash.  Love, love, love it. In the past we have used acorn squash as well, but this time I used only butternut.  It is quite simple to make.  I just roasted the squash with some onions and garlic.  I put carrots, celery, and some more onion in a pan to cook.  I added vegetable stock, a cinnamon stick, a little nutmeg, salt and pepper and let that simmer for a while.  I then removed the cinnamon stick, added the roasted items to the soup, added additional vegetable stock and pureed the soup to the constancy that I wanted. After pureeing the soup I let it sit on the stove for a while and let all the flavors blend with one another.  Then....Voila! Delicious Roasted Squash Soup! 

I would typically serve this with a maybe a dollop of mascarpone cheese on top, or perhaps with a sage leaf for garnish, some toasted bread served with oil and vinegar, but this evening it was the simple soup and it was still just as satisfying! Did I mention how much I love butternut squash?  I am so happy that fall is here.  Next I think I may make some butternut squash ravioli! Mmmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment