Thursday, December 8, 2011

Oh What Fun It Is To Eat

Feeding the baby has become fun again!  We went through about five months of delicately choosing foods that with any luck would not bind the baby up.  We got to the point where I was ready to go visit the GI doctor.  I called the pediatrician after two weeks of the baby pooping only with assistance from a suppository, which was painful for all involved.  And then, as if the baby knew what was happening, he started having regular movements.  I began slowing increasing the variety of foods.  Its amazing.  I don't really have to worry about what I give him to eat anymore (aside from nutrition of course)  and he poops daily!  I was a little worried when I started giving him whole milk, as I have heard that sometimes kids can become constipated when they begin drinking it, but nope! 

It is so much easier to feed the baby now.  I basically give him whatever I am eating.  That being said, I do take minor precautions to aide in regularity.  I still give him infant oatmeal each morning and add probiotics to it.  He then usually will have some eggs or whatever I eat for breakfast.  I try to get him to drink a couple ounces of juice with breakfast as well.  I pay attention to the fruits and veggies that he is taking in to ensure that he has enough.  

Some kids are completely off of the pureed baby food at this stage.  We are slowly transitioning.  I am beginning to think that my baby's body is a little slower to adjust to solid food than the average baby and that may have been the problem all along.  So I continue to give him some pureed food along with the finger foods and small helpings of our meals, mostly because I am concerned he isn't getting enough otherwise. I no longer puree our meals.  I just cut everything up.  It is a relief to be able to simply cook dinner and know that the baby can eat it.  Yesterday I made beef stew and the baby ate it up.  The leftovers were just as scrumptious for lunch! The best part is that the baby likes most everything. It isn't always pretty, but its good!



We don't always strip the baby down at dinner time but the first time he ate spaghetti we had removed his shirt and he proceeded to rub the sauce into his belly like lotion.  Therefore, I removed his shirt this evening prior to eating.  Apparently pasta sauce is a good foot lotion as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment