Thursday, December 15, 2011

Mama Makes Good Porridge

I'm on a roll folks! Yesterday I decided that I was going to start cooking for the family again.  My husband is busy and has been either out of town or out on the town lately so dinner time has been nothing special.  Now that we have a few consecutive nights together, I figure its time to get into the family meals.  Last night I made salmon with mashed potatoes and a garden salad.  While my husband enjoyed it, the little guy wasn't as enthusiastic.  He typically likes fish, but salmon is definitely not his favorite.  

This evening I made stew - beef stew for the boy and I and vegetable stew (with beans) for the papa.  Add some fancy bread on the side and you have a fantastic dinner!  It was enjoyed by all.  The baby devoured his beef stew.  Good thing I made extra for leftovers! The vegetable stew turned out well, according to my husband, and he is a very hard man to please.  So I am happy! 

I am getting better at planning family meals with a vegetarian (or more accurately a pescatarian).  I no longer ask my husband what he would like at the store because he never has any suggestions.  "Would you like me to pick you up something special at the market?" "No, I can't think of anything." "Are you sure because I don't want you to complain that I didn't get you anything or that you have nothing to eat."  "It's fine.  I'll figure it out."  Only to later lead to the annoying question.... "What am I going to have for dinner?" This week I planned a menu and shopped for items on my menu which made the shopping experience more enjoyable because I knew what I was getting.  No wandering around wondering what to get while anxiously awaiting a possible toddler tantrum. 

I have noticed a transition in our home where I am cooking more than my husband, which has never occurred in our eleven years.  I'm totally digging it.  I don't even mind cleaning up and doing the dishes after.  I know.  I sound crazy right? I must be crazy.  But I feel like I am finally, finally getting into a groove and I guess I am proud of myself.  Here's to at least a few more nights of good porridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment