Saturday, January 7, 2012

Night Weaning ~ Forget The Baby, Sleep Train Me!

Night three of weaning proved to be, well, pretty damn incredible.  I left my house at 445pm yesterday to visit with friends and felt that it was too early to nurse the baby.  It was still light out and I didn't want to confuse him given that he is completely day weaned.  I arrived home between 1030 and 11pm and I fully expected the little guy to either be awake or in his swing.  What I found when I walked in was a quiet home with the baby sound asleep in his bed.  My husband was watching television and apparently everything went well when I was out.  Wow!  He said the baby had a little trouble going to sleep and around nine he went into his swing.  From there, he successfully transferred the baby to his crib.  That was pretty amazing in itself, but the incredible part came when the baby slept all night until 530am!  I could not believe it.  That meant he went 30 hours without the boob.  I pumped before bed.  I didn't want to be in extreme pain.

So, I picked the baby up and we went to the fridge to get some milk.  At first he didn't want any, so I changed his diaper.  I tried to give him some milk again and he drank a few ounces and fell asleep in my arms.  I tried three times to put him back in his crib and finally just placed him in my bed.  He was back to sleep within 15 minutes!

There was only one problem.  I woke around 145am when my husband finally wandered into the bedroom (yes, he fell asleep with the TV on as per the usual) and I couldn't fall back asleep.  I was up for two and a half hours.  Are you kidding me? What is my problem?  Here I was so worried about the baby and for three nights in a row now I have been up for 2+ hours in the middle of the night while everyone else sleeps.  I am really hoping to get a good night's sleep tonight as it is seriously effecting my physical being.

I nursed the baby before bed tonight.  He woke a half hour later and I decided I was not going to nurse him but start the same routine that we do when he wakes in the middle of the night.  It worked....  It took a half hour, but it worked....  He cried a little more than he does at 3am, but it worked.  So that's the new plan for the next week or more until I decide to cut out the before bed feeding.  Wish me luck.  Tonight I am feeling like I am going to need it.

Since you made it to the end of my post, why don't you take a second to click on the banner below to cast an automatic vote for me! You can vote once each day!

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment