Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Freedom To Choose

The election is now over yet the chatter still remains.  Although my child is not even two, I feel its important to teach my young one about being American.

Part of being American means having a voice.  We can all vote, make choices and speak our minds.  Yesterday I worked with my little guy to teach him a bit about voting.  We tuned in to Sesame Street as they had an episode about voting.  Children were able to vote for what to have to eat for instance.  We then drove to the polling place to submit our voting ballot.  When we submitted our ballot we got stickers that said "I voted" which was exciting for the little guy!

When we came home we practiced voting (making choices) throughout the day.  We practiced saying the word vote and I printed some coloring pages about elections and voting.  My little one is a bit young to understand the process of election, but he is the perfect age to begin making choices.  We incorporate choices into our everyday activities;  Everything from what to eat or drink to what pajamas to wear to bed.  Choosing a bath or  shower and choosing what play activity to engage in.  

While he may not understand all of the elements of voting for president and proposition measures, he is learning that he has a voice.  His opinion matters.  His choices have an effect, an outcome that he has control over and this is a lesson that I want my child to learn young and never ever forget. 


Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment